Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I would like to ask a few questions in regards to putting a…

HiI would like to ask...
HiI would like to ask a few questions in regards ***** ***** a worker into unreasonable performance implementation plan on a South Australian public sector employee.Is there any section in SA Public Sector Act to protect an employee from an unreasonable performance? Can you please explain how this section of the Act support the right of the employee without unnecessary threats and performance management? What is the underpinning principle or Act to delegate the power? What if they are not utilising the delegated power appropriately? What are consequences of rushing the process and is there any Act related to this?Is there any section of the Act that stipulates or gives negotiating power to an employee to take or delete a specific item from performance implementation plan? And not to be used in future.Is there any Act supporting an employee from a culturally diverse background at Australian workplace? In particularly Asian culture, as it is impossible for a worker from Asian background, 100% adapt to Australian culture and communicate like a European/Australian style who has first language as English? Unless, a person grew up in this society. How do you protect the employment from this discrimination or pre-judgemental view about the ability of people from diverse culture? Which section of Act clearly defines this and protect the workers from the culturally diverse background?Look forward to hear a response at the earliest.
Thanks
4/19/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Evening

This sounds like a university assignment.

Is this an assignment for university?

No. Real life situation!

Good Evening

Can you give me specific details in relation to what is happening.

Your question is asking about bullying, discrimination and intimidation.

The organisation is doing some strategic performance improvement activities on staffs as part of the recommendationa from a commission. As part of that I am also being performance managed. They did once in 2016 and there is no reason to put all the items mentioned in the current performance improvement plan. This performance should not even be formalised which could have been achieved through regular supervision and mentoring. The supervisors were not capable enough to do this. So, I would like to negotiate this and delete some items which I do not agree with.
1. Professional assessment
2. Communication
There are sub-items to these mains heads. I just want to stop this work bullying, discrimination and intimdation using the system policy and procedures.

Good Evening

If you are being bullied and harassed you have to report it.

Make sure that it is in writing and you provide full details.

There is a State Act that does not allow you to be bullied and if you are, the employer has to act.

Here is some information that supports what I have just told you.

http://www.eoc.sa.gov.au/eo-you/workers/work/workplace-bullying

Make sure you formally let the employer know and if they do nothing you report it to SafeWork SA

Also being in a government department there should be detailed policies in place and you should get a copy and make sure you become well versed in it and find where they are failing to comply and put that in your letter.

If you are being discriminated against because of race, sex, religion or sexual orientation you are protected under the Discrimination Act.

Here is some information for you about discrimination.

https://www.safework.sa.gov.au/show_page.jsp?id=115380

There is a 12 month time limit on making complaints under these laws. Complaints will first go through a process of conciliation and, if they do not resolve, either to the Federal Court (AHRC) or the South Australian Employment Tribunal (for EOC matters).

Here is the link from the SA Handbook that explains the different discrimination for you.

https://www.lawhandbook.sa.gov.au/ch17.php

If you believe you are targeted for no reason it could be victimisation

But you have to collect the evidence and report it.

I would also suggest you request detailed information about why you are being micro managed. Try and do this without being aggressive and try and collect information.

You have a case but you need to do your background homework collect the information and then complain and if they do nothing take it further.

You cannot just make demands to change what they are doing. You have to show them they have no right and they are failing to follow their policies and the law and once you do that and they do nothing you can seek official intervention by courts.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Where does Enterprises Bargain Agreement fit in this circumstances?

Good Morning

My apology for the delay.

The Enterprise Bargaining Agreement is the Agreement between the union and the employer that sets out the terms and conditions of your pay etc.

It does not deal with bullying.

It determines the employment hours rates of pay etc.

I hope this assists you with your further question.

Regards

Good Morning

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

I am bit confused about whom should I put this workplace bullying complaint on. Should this be a Manager or Supervisor or Senior Practitioner. All of them seem to be aligned. HR officer is also now a part of this performance planning. When I spoke to my GP, he said that I should be putting a workplace complaint if I want to claim work cover for stress leave. I haven't been to office for last 2 days. If I am making a complaint against Manager it would make more sense, as he is the main HR contact in the office and he delegates things. But would it be a wise move? He has only been in the office since July last year and as far as I understand he is on contract and not a well liked person in total. He has a serious issue with his diplomatic skills and not being flexible and always structured thinking. He has been considered as a Quality assurance person and that is his main focus. This does not mean he can bully or discriminate or victimise staff. Or I can talk or email my concerns or a complaint to our Regional Director who is above the Manager, and he sits in our office. I am unsure about which pathway I should choose. I just want to resolve this issue and conclude with some alternative practical agreements rather stringent action with the employer. The issue with this is, they will then argue that I have been in the department for 9 years and there are expectations. I do not know how to defend this statement. I have always been debating that regardsless of experience and expectation, I have been working with different types of clients and each day is different. I do not know this point is valid in terms of expectation. Sometimes, we cannot do what is expected due to the compliance of the client as our work is dealing with involuntary clients. So there is always double sided arguments. Do you what I mean?
If you are being bullied you report it to your HR department and name the ones bullying you . You feel that he is micromanaging you and there is no problem it is how he makes you feel and he has to make sure he is not bullying and intimidating you
Leon, Solicitor
HiDoes Fair Work Commission consider stop-bullying order application from an employee at Department for Child Protection? If not I should approach Safe work. is that right?

Good Morning

Yes it does take on cases with Bullying in some cases but being in a state government department it has to be in the State Commission as does the human rights commission

Here is some information.

Work without harassment and bullying

If you think you're a victim of sexual harassment or victimisation, contact the Equal Opportunity Commission or the State Ombudsman.

You can make a complaint to the Equal Opportunity Commission if you believe that you have been victimised for:

• using equal opportunity laws
  • making, or intending to make a complaint or report about corruption, misconduct or maladministration in public administration under the Independent Commissioner Against Corruption Act 2012
  • for providing, or intending to provide information to ICAC in connection with an investigation under the Independent Commissioner Against Corruption Act 2012
  • for making an appropriate disclosure of public interest information under the Whistleblowers Protection Act 1993.

Practical advice for employers and employees on dealing with the many kinds of workplace bullying and harassment can be found on the SafeWork SA website.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/work-and-skills/working-and-workers-rights/your-rights-at-work

Contact Safework SA and ask them if you are under the state system of federal.

You have to clear that up before you decide where to lodge your application.

If you are covered under the federal system then here are the links

Fair work

https://www.fwc.gov.au/content/rules-form/application-order-stop-bullying

Human Rights Commission

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/workplace-bullying-violence-harassment-and-bullying-fact-sheet

I hope this has assisted you with the further question.

Regards