Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am 90 yrs old and house bound and my only enjoyment is my…

I am 90 yrs...

I am 90 yrs old and house bound and my only enjoyment is my Telstra with Foxtel, but I am at my wits end as I am having so much trouble with them. I was receiving all the bundles when I first signed up a few ago then all of a sudden they took off all but one bundle - Drama - and I have been trying to get the others back on again but the account number I have been given they say doesn't exist yet they still send me E-mails etc., and yesterday they announced to me over my computer that they have deactivated my account. I have spent days and hours on the phonew to both these establishments and all I am getting is the run around. Transferred from one person to another. Surely they can open up another account with a new account number and update my entertainment package. It is not brain surgery.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Allawah, N.S.W. Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have rung them up every day for the past three weeks and spent hours I have given them my name, address, and phone number and have tried to fill out the different pages relating to such matters on the computer but each time I am stymied by the fact that they require me to put in my mobile phone number and as I am house bound I don't have one.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything off hand.

4/11/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

You will have a claim under the Australian Consumer Law based on the facts that you have described. The legislative Act that applies is the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, Schedule 2.

All sellers warrant that goods or service are acceptable for their use/service.

Goods:

a. Goods must be of acceptable quality

b. Goods must be fit for purpose

c. Goods must match their description

d. Goods must match any sample or model.

Services:

a. Must be rendered with due care and skill

b. Services must be fit for the specified purpose.

c. Services must be provided within a reasonable time.

Seller has several options they can provided where goods or services have not meet the requisite standard. The seller can either repair, replace, refund, compensation, and cancel the entire contract.

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company, Telstra. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The chronological order need to be be numbered with points 1, 2, 3, etc. with each point being a separate item.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 7 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

Preferably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 7 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in NCAT.

You can lodge this claim directly on their website. The key element of the claim is the points claim that details the matter, This application point will need a little time to prepare the facts, and I recommend that you download the application first, review, fill it out, and then when you are ready lodge the same online

You may also have a claim of misleading conduct by the seller, under section 18 of the Australian Consumer Law. In general, misleading someone may include conduct ranging from lying to them, to making false or inaccurate claims, to creating a false impression, to leading them to a wrong conclusion, to omitting important information. Importantly, it is not necessary to establish that the trader intended to mislead or deceive. A person or corporation may have engaged in conduct that was misleading or deceptive even if they have acted honestly and reasonably. Silence may constitute misleading or deceptive conduct, but this will depend on the circumstances of the case.

The Telstra cannot rely on a disclaimer or exclusion clause to protect themselves from misleading or deceptive conduct. However, the fine print will still be considered.

Would you like to try this option of the complaint first.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

If you need any further information please let me know.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and your important questions.

Have I answered your question today ?

John Melis, Lawyer