Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My friend went to a private facility for respite. We had to…

My friend went to...

My friend went to a private facility for respite. We had to pay the first week as a nonrefundable deposit. On arrival the second week of accommodation was paid. First day there we had issues with staff telling her and myself that they could not care for her as it was low care and she was high care. Also issues overnite ,staff saying same thing . My friend was distressed that they could not look afterbher needs.I was flying out to NZ 2 days later, and found it necessary to look for emergency respite elsewhere. At no time was I contacted by the owners that there were issues, and prior to booking in had been totally up front in regard to my friends care needs , to be told this was not an issue. Is she entitled to a refund of some sort, at least 2nd week. She went into this place on a monday and moved out on the wednesday so in essence was only there 2 days. Your advice would be much appreciated. I have contacted one of the owners re this matter to be told that I need to phone the facility when his wife is there. Respite had been booked from 29/1/18to 12/2/18

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I phoned owner a week ago. There has been delay in doing this due to me being away and on my return my friend having a hospital admission and cqre issues in last 3 weeks since finally coming back home

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I realize that the 1st week may not be refundable as they advised us this was a non refundable deposit, but feel at least 2nd week should be refunded. The fees were $998 per week approx so feel my friend has lost almost $2000 on this arrangement

4/6/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

so what outcome would you like to achieve at the present time ?

I feel that part of the fee paid should be refunded. The owners are a husband and wife . I contacted the husband a week ago on his mobile and he told me I needed to ring the facility when his wife was there to discuss the matter. I would like to know if we are entitled to any kind of refund as my friend was only there 2 days and not the 2 weeks paid for. The staff had her so distressed that I felt I had no choice but to look for alternative accommodation for the time I was going to be away

ok, based on the facts that you have stated you will be entitled to a part refund. do you have a copy of the agreement that was entered into with the facility ?

If the facility refuses to pay the monies back you will have a claim under the Australian Consumer Law based on the facts that you have described. The legislative Act that applies is the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, Schedule 2.

All facilities warrant that service are acceptable for their use/service.

Services:

a. Must be rendered with due care and skill

b. Services must be fit for the specified purpose.

c. Services must be provided within a reasonable time.

The facility had several options they can provided where goods or services have not meet the requisite standard. The facility can either repair, replace, refund, compensation, and cancel the entire contract.

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The chronological order need to be be numbered with points 1, 2, 3, etc. with each point being a separate item.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 7 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

Preferably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 7 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in NCAT.

You can lodge this claim directly on their website. The key element of the claim is the points claim that details the matter, This application point will need a little time to prepare the facts, and I recommend that you download the application first, review, fill it out, and then when you are ready lodge the same online

You may also have a claim of misleading conduct by the seller, under section 18 of the Australian Consumer Law. In general, misleading someone may include conduct ranging from lying to them, to making false or inaccurate claims, to creating a false impression, to leading them to a wrong conclusion, to omitting important information. Importantly, it is not necessary to establish that the trader intended to mislead or deceive. A person or corporation may have engaged in conduct that was misleading or deceptive even if they have acted honestly and reasonably. Silence may constitute misleading or deceptive conduct, but this will depend on the circumstances of the case.

The facility cannot rely on a disclaimer or exclusion clause to protect themselves from misleading or deceptive conduct. However, the fine print will still be considered.

Would you like to try this option of the complaint first.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

If you need any further information please let me know.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and your important questions.

Have I answered your question today ?

John Melis, Lawyer
thank you. I will follow up on this with the owners . Thank you for your help

thank you