Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a problem with Telstra, had account for nearly 10…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a problem with Telstra, had account for nearly 10 years , in January my phone had no reception, called Telstra and my account had disappeared off there system, did not exist my phone number had been lost. Called them and they couldn’t help me. Went 3 days without phone, had to go into Telstra store to sort out. Got my number back and had to start a new account with Telstra. Now they have found the account and are trying to make me pay out contract. I told them no I’m not paying it , I told them to reconnect account and keep it going but they won’t and now they have sent account to debt collectors. My phone was also stolen in January and I couldn’t claim my insurance because they had lost my account

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

In nsw I have not spoken to anyone except Telstra

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Only spoken to Telstra management but they don’t want to help

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think I covered it in first message thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
4/4/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

You will have a claim under the Australian Consumer Law based on the facts that you have described regarding the phone and the service that you did not receive from Telstra and the insurance claim. The legislative Act that applies is the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, Schedule 2.

All sellers warrant that goods or service are acceptable for their use/service.

Goods:

a. Goods must be of acceptable quality

b. Goods must be fit for purpose

c. Goods must match their description

d. Goods must match any sample or model.

Services:

a. Must be rendered with due care and skill

b. Services must be fit for the specified purpose.

c. Services must be provided within a reasonable time.

Seller has several options they can provided where goods or services have not meet the requisite standard. The seller can either repair, replace, refund, compensation, and cancel the entire contract.

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The chronological order need to be be numbered with points 1, 2, 3, etc. with each point being a separate item.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 7 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

Preferably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 7 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in NCAT.

You can lodge this claim directly on their website. The key element of the claim is the points claim that details the matter, This application point will need a little time to prepare the facts, and I recommend that you download the application first, review, fill it out, and then when you are ready lodge the same online

You may also have a claim of misleading conduct by the seller, under section 18 of the Australian Consumer Law. In general, misleading someone may include conduct ranging from lying to them, to making false or inaccurate claims, to creating a false impression, to leading them to a wrong conclusion, to omitting important information. Importantly, it is not necessary to establish that the trader intended to mislead or deceive. A person or corporation may have engaged in conduct that was misleading or deceptive even if they have acted honestly and reasonably. Silence may constitute misleading or deceptive conduct, but this will depend on the circumstances of the case.

The contractor cannot rely on a disclaimer or exclusion clause to protect themselves from misleading or deceptive conduct. However, the fine print will still be considered.

Would you like to try this option of the complaint first.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

If you need any further information please let me know.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and your important questions.

Have I answered your question today ?