Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I’ve received a letter saying that I have failed to make…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl I’ve received...

Hi Pearl I’ve received a letter saying that I have failed to make payments and that I’m at risk of being found guilty of contempt to court. But I cannot find another court date that I have missed. I went to the last 2 so I’m really unsure of where I stand. As the paperwork has come with a stamped envelope but addressed to them and not the courts which I find weird. Can you please try and make sense of all this and help me out please.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No I’ve just received this and well it kind of made me nervous, so was going to see where I stood before I send if everything that they have asked for

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I’m in WA and it’s actually to do with a rental property that my ex destroyed and since I’m the only one that showed up to court I’m liable for the bill

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I can send you a copy of the paperwork if that helps

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
4/3/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

Who is this letter from?

Good morning the letter is from the owners of the house that my ex and I rented. But they are trying to make it look like a court letter.

Good Afternoon

Can you tell me what they are suing you for?