Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son needs advice in regards to payments with tax

Customer Question
My son needs advice...

My son needs advice in regards ***** ***** with tax department, which is now in the hands of garnishee notice. He has 28 days to respond mail received 03 april 2018. He works up north in the mines and is unable to know how to action this issue till he gets back at the end of the month. Is there a way of stalling the tax dept, what can I bo to help.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Western auastralia post code 6173

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Sent email this morning, to notify him, reception very poor, calls break up.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I call back tomorrow to continue this or not?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
4/3/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

What you may do is contact the ATO telephone service line and explain to them that your son is off site, not able to receive mail and request an extension of 60 days to allow your son to respond to the letter.

If the ATO is not in agreement with this step the next option is to ask an accountant to contact the ATO on behalf of your son to seek a delay with the process and to allow time for a follow up response.

The ATO will work with the accountant appointed.

Sometimes the ATO only requires an explanation into what has occurred as they are lacking information on certain financial matters. Once these points are cleared up with the ATO the situation returns to normal.

I am sure your appointed accountant will be able to clear this matter.

Would you like to consider this option ?

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

If you need any further information let me know and I will be pleased to assist.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and your important questions.

Have I answered your question today ?

would prefer to speak directly arthritic fingers too slow. Hopefully son will have access to office managers phone and call or have a better reception.I will then give the two options you have given, and request off him to allow me to act on his behalf, is this legal?
Will inform you of any results if any. Thank you for advise.

Yes you can act on his behalf once your son extends his authority and it is legal for you to do so.