Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Do we have any laws regarding abandonment? My wife of six…

Customer Question
Do we have any...

Do we have any laws regarding abandonment? My wife of six years has left to go to family affairs overseas for an agreed 3 weeks last July but refuses to come home, besides setting dozens of fake dates and lying to me and playing games to stall for time. I've booked her ticket several times and had various excuses each time to why she cannot come home and now after almost 9 months she's just simply begun pretending she's been away for a few weeks long or something and no big deal> the simple fact is she is not coming home, she is playing me for money and I feel it must be time to grow a pair and move on. We have no children.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Western Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Warned her repeatedly that she must come home, or I would divorce her.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is Pakistani has PR visa

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon,

I would stop sending her any money and if you have been separated for more than 12 months, you file an application for a divorce and end the marriage.

If there is any property, you also file an application for a property settlement and seek orders that you receive all of this property and show how you have given her money and that she is no longer in Australia.

I would always suggest that you have a solicitor and assist you in this process.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards