Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My sister is from Rwanda and married her husband who is a…

Customer Question
My sister is from Rwanda...
My sister is from Rwanda and married her husband who is a permanent resident of the USA (but not citizen). She married him in 2014 in South Africa before joining him in the USA in September 2017 in Detroit Michigan,along with her 11 year old son. She entered the USA on a family visa and currently has her green card which is valid for 2 years. After two years she would be eligible for a green card for 10 years pending her husband signing off on this.Unfortunately since moving to the USA to be with her husband my sister has been physically assaulted by being punched and choked by her husband both in the family home and also while driving on the freeway. Her husband has smashed three of her phones to prevent her from seeking family help or outside assistance. He has also now threatened to kill her if she does not do as she is told and give her husband her money when she gets paid from her job. Due to her phones being smashed my sister has had to walk 2 hours to her work in the dark hours of the morning because she could not call a cab or uber. My sister speaks very limited English and speaks mostly French/Kinyarwanda so is very isolated and unsure what to do and where to get help.She is worried for her safety and who might look after her son if she is hurt. She is also not sure whether that she must try and endure his physical abuse for the next two years to keep her green card or whether she can apply to self petition for a VAWA so that she might be able to remove herself or him from having control over her and hurting her without losing her ability to live and work in the USA.She has been to scared to call the police because she is frightened that they will upset her husband and he will hurt her after they leave or returns from being locked up.Will it be necessary to call the police and press charges against her husband in order to file successfully for a VAWA ?She is very scared and we are trying to find out information as to what she needs to do to be safe and help herself.Thank you for reading our question
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Australia Law
4/3/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

is either party in Australia at the present time ?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hi John,No both parties are in the USA in Detroit Michigan. We were hoping to get a lawyer from the USA to assist with this matter. We have done some of our own research but were hoping to speak to someone with more hands on experience in these matters over there.

ok , I will transfer chat

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
thank you

you are welcome

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor