Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If I purchase a property under my name now as a single

Customer Question
If I purchase a...

If I purchase a property under my name now as a single unmarried, will I still get the first home owners grant if I get married before the property settlement date?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No not yet. I've only made a refundable reservation for a new apartment which will settle in Feb 2021

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the apartment located?

Fairfield NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all unless you have other specific questions?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning,

It does not matter if you sign the contract in your maiden name and settle in your marriedyou will still get the grant.

What will happen is you will need to provide evidence of your marriage certificate and a statutory declaration that you are one and the same for the prices to be finalised.

Your solicitor/conveyancer should be able to deal with this quite simply.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 months ago

Good Morning

I am following up my last post.

If there is anything further I can assist you with please let me know.

I look forward to hearing form you

Regards