Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

How do I go about probate after the death of a person who…

Customer Question
How do I go...

How do I go about probate after the death of a person who has died without a will. the only small amount of money would be in hospitality super. 2 surviving children. 20 and 17. would any money go to them first or to pay outstanding bills owing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Very little we are searching all the places she worked.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been hanging on to legal aid for 10 mins . should I hang up and just speak with you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
4/3/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning,

you will need to obtain what is called letters of administration.

It is not a simple process and if the person has left assets in Victoria such as real estate, you are best to have a solicitor assist you in the process. There will be enquiries that will need to be done solicitors in the area and also the public trustee to search And confirm that the deceased did not leave a will.

You will also need to do an application with the Registry of births deaths and marriages to confirm that the deceased only had the 2 children that you refer to.

Once this is done it you can then commence the process of preparing the application to the Supreme Court for letters of administration.

You would then attach all the relevant information and once the court is satisfied it would grant letters of administration.

The following link is the do-it-yourself kit from the Supreme Court of Victoria

https://www.supremecourt.vic.gov.au/forms-fees-and-services/wills-and-probate/probate-forms/letters-of-administrationintestacy-form-kit

As mentioned you our best to have a solicitor assist you in doing the work as it is not a simple task.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago

Good Morning

I am following up my last post.

If there is anything further I can assist you with please let me know.

I look forward to hearing form you

Regards