Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Wanting to know if I do guardian ship instead of Forster…

Customer Question
Wanting to know if...

Wanting to know if I do guardian ship instead of Forster care do I lose the allowance for the child and this is for Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Australian family court?

No I am a Forster mum and not getting support from forsting agency so thought I would go for guardian ship ,children in care until they are 18 had all boys since they were 4months old

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No ,was ask by agency last year if I would like to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much will this call cost me

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Family Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Is he an Australia lawyer

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
4/1/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Both foster carer’s and guardians receive an allowance. Guardians on the overall will receive a higher benefit, however, there is more paper work to process. So both situations can work out the same to some respects in regards ***** ***** support from the government.

As example, foster carers in NSW receive a fortnightly allowance based on the age of the child. A number of other payments and reimbursements are also available for certain children and situations.

The allowance payment method provides more autonomy to carers to make day-to-day decisions about the needs of children and young people in their care.

http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/321379/welfare_work_fact.pdf

Guardians receive an allowance, known as a guardianship allowance, to enable them to meet the needs of the child or young person. The guardianship allowance is the same rate as the FACS statutory care allowance. The guardianship allowance is based on the individual needs of the child or young as outlined in their care or case plan.

Guardians may be eligible for support from the Commonwealth Department of Human Services (Centrelink) which deliver a range of Australian Government benefits and concessions to the general community including: child care benefit; child care rebate; ABSTUDY; Youth Allowance; Work Exemption

Information about the full range of Australian Government assistance, including payment rates and eligibility criteria, is available on the Centrelink website: www.humanservices.gov.au or by contacting Centrelink on 13 61 50. You can also visit a Centrelink Customer Service Centre for more information.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this important situation.

Does this answer your important question today ?

If you need any further information let me know and I will be pleased to assist.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and your important questions.