Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I need advice on a being asked to leave a hotel where I have…

Customer Question
I need advice on...

I need advice on a being asked to leave a hotel where I have done nothing wrong and is purely based on prejudice

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I tried talking to duty manager who didn't want to.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been here on Townsville at Hotel Grand Chancellor for two nights, extended today went out at 1pm and asked for the rubbish to be collected only when my friend called just before

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Australia Law
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I went out at 1pm at 9.30pm when my friend rung to pay for room he was told both him and I were not going to be able to stay again and I was to come and collect my belongings because I had been smoking in the room which I hadn't. No one contacted either of us in the 8 hours i was out and was only informed once he had rung. I returned just after 10 pm and explained I hadn't to which a staff member said she had seen me regularly go in and out for a cigarette over the past two nights Ive been here. The duty manager said she will see what she can do went out back for approx 5 minutes and said there was nothing she could do and escorted me to my room to pack my stuff. Upon entering the room there was no sign of any ciggerette smoke smell or evidence of smoking the room was in the exact same condition I left it as Im OCD it was immaculate. She said cleaners noticed it and cleaned hence no smell which was in my opinion not the case as rubbish bag was still there, used towels were still there and bed unmade plus smelt like the destintive air freshener I used after cleaning up before heading out. The room has no windows or balcony and is small so one would think you still would be able to smell it. I asked her if it was her discretion for me to stayvl or go and she said it was and I had to go even though there was Cleary no smoking in room. I am leaving at 9am to go to Brisbane so I can fly home to Nz which I told her plus the fact I had all identification stolen including passport which is waiting in Brisbane for me to collect today which makes it impossible to check into any other accommodation which she also was aware of.
3/31/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 23 days ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

did you provide your credit card details on check in as security for the room ?

Under the Inn keepers Act hotel has a legal right to ask patrons to leave the hotel as and when required but there must be valid reason.

On the facts that you have stated the hotel has wrongly ask you to leave, and on this basis you could sue the hotel on a civil basis at QCAT for the cost of the new accommodation that you were required stay in.

You have a legal right to protect your interests in this situation.

Does this answer your important question today ?

If you need any further information please let me know and I will be pleased to assist.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and thank you for using Just Answer.

John Melis, Lawyer