Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

This is about telecommunication, I am getting an incredible…

Customer Question
This is about telecommunication...

This is about telecommunication, I am getting an incredible number of calls from people who identify themselves to be from Telstra. The line is scratchy and they have very heavy accents and say there name is ‘Brian’ or ‘David’ or if female Anne or Sarah. They insist that our internet is corrupted and they want us to log in so they can fix it. These calls are not just coming here, for friends who have caller ID the number is ***** identified. It doesn’t matter if we tell them not to call back or just to GO AWAY

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an ID lawyer about this?

Is there anything we can do to get rid of them

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just told them to go away, get lost, do not call again, and sometimes just hung up. They sometimes call up to 3 times in an hour. They talk about ‘serious viruses infecting our computer’

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have regular computer maintainance and up to date virus protection. It is a business phone, for rural property

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
We do not have mobile coverage so email is probably best, ***** ***** me, aside from the extreme nuisance value �� is what about the people who get taken in by this caper that I can only see as a scam
3/31/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer
Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.
The calls you are getting has a high probability of being from scammers trying to gain access to your computerYour telecommunications provider can enable a full block on your telephone, which will protects you from all unauthorised calls unless you release the number.I recommend that if you have not done so already update all passwords that are connected with the internet including banking.Place a lock on your mail and have your mail redirected to a P O BoxYou have a legal right to protect your interests in this situation.Does this answer your important question today ?
If you need any further information please let me know and I will be pleased to assist.You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and thank you for using Just Answer.
1. Organising a block on phone is tricky, this is a business phone
2. Why would we need to change all passwords if we have never followed the direction, to access the computer, of the scam callers?
Is it not possible to have these scammers stopped totally

The reason why it is important to change passwords for all matters is because when attacks are occurring directly to your phone, it will also mean that they are looking into your website, business details on ASICS register and other cyber crawling aspects.

The sophistication with crime is extensive and to minimise the risk of impact on your business it is prudent to take every precautionary step.

As the number is ***** business number the option you consider which many businesses do is to install filters on the telephone. Z

Filters being creating a system of sequences that callers need to follow in order to speak with the party. These filters work extremely well.

Would you like to consider this aspect ?