Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My daughter purchased a VW Jetta approximately July 20016.

Customer Question
My daughter purchased a...

My daughter purchased a VW Jetta approximately July 20016. It still had 3 months new car warranty left on it

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory is your daughter in? It matters because laws vary by location.

WA

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your daughter taken so far?

When she bought the car she noticed a 'shudder' and pointed it out to them. They said they couldn't find anything wrong

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She also bought an extended warranty and not long before it was due to expire she brought the shudder up with them again. They said she should bring it in but they would need it for 4 hours at a cost of $200 per hour and if they discovered the fault wasn't covered by warranty then she would have to pay the $800 just for them to look at it. She is a sole parent and doesn't have that kind of money, so she had to cancel the appointment. Her warranty has now expired and she's been told that she needs a new gearbox at a cost of around $8000. Is there anything she can do?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/29/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon,

You Should Not Have Been Charged for them to look at the vehicle as this was a problem that was bought to their attention when she purchased the vehicle.

All faults uncovered under the Australian consumer laws and they have misled her if they have charged her.

Because she bought an issue to their attention prior to the warranty expiring, and if they are now saying that that shudder is the gearbox and because it's out of warranty she has to pay for it, they are completely wrong.

I would suggest that she sue them for what she has paid to date and rely on the Australian consumer laws to give her vehicle repaired as it is their responsibility.

The following link is the law as it stands today in Australia.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

The fault was part of the vehicle when she purchased it and the dealer/manufacturer is responsible to repair it at the cost.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards