Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Child- never lived in Australia but has an Australian father…

Customer Question
Child- never lived in...

Child- never lived in Australia but has an Australian father and Australian citizenship. Parents wish to change surname from mum's maiden name to married name, Writing on behalf of my brother in law.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Australian lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Father living in the Phillipines has contacted the embassy there. Child born in Vietnam and I understand he has tried the embassy there too.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If name is ***** ***** d poll does this then allow the citizenship papers and passport to be changed?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/29/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

Do both parents agree to changing the childs name.

Where does the child now live?

thanks but I will phone my lawyer.

I am happy to assist on the process but need to know where the child lives as to how to change the name.

If not I can close this and ask you get a refund.