Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

A DA was approved in 1971 for a church. A building was

Customer Question
A DA was approved...

A DA was approved in 1971 for a church. A building was erected. An occupancy certificate was never applied for or issued.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

In terms of what? I attend the church and I have become aware of this. I'm more concern about any insurance/public liability claims. Will our insurance cover any mishap when the church does not have an occupancy certificate?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Its the insurance that concerns me. It is a public building that doesn't have a occupancy certificate.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/29/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 2 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon,

Do you know whether a final inspection was actually undertaken on the church before it started operating? If so it may simply be a situation where they failed to pay the final cost for the certificate.

Is anybody gone to Council and obtained a copy of the file to have a look at what was actually done?