Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

On 16th August 1996 I legally changed my name from *******

Customer Question
On 16th August 1996...

On 16th August 1996 I legally changed my name from Miranda ******* **** to Miranda *****, so as to delete my Surname by marriage:- Reg No 14364-LICENCE TO CHANGE NAME. Other than the Australian Taxation Office, every other Govt Dept with whom I have business, recognises my name as legal, and I must constantly go to great lengths to prove who I am.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

WA

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Complaining & grumping on each occasion I need to explain a name change. I need someone to take on Govt Software changes so that it is consistent through all Departments.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure what to say, but even my Australian Passport, I am now informed, is not technically legal as my first name, Miranda, appears as Surname, but Mary is not a Surname either. I just need to be accepted for who I am, legally:- Miranda ****** (no Surname)

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/29/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon,

is the error on your passport?

I’m told, that the first name on a Passport is a Surname.

Have you checked who made the mistake?

No, not the Passport, but as Medicare & Aust Drivers Licence are the same, when I enquirered I was told that a Surname is ***** ***** Field in their Software. I do not have finances to address this through lawyers, but would appreciate a lead contact to a senior bureaucrat in a relevant position to address these inconsistencies in Govt Depts Software

Good Afternoon,

In your change of name is ***** ***** blank?

Reading your question I got the distinct impression that Mary would have been in the surname field of your change of name.

I am very surprised that you are allowed to change your name without giving a surname.

It just says ***Miranda Mary Lawrence*** “is hereby licensed & authorise henceforth to assume & use the name(s) of “ ***Miranda Mary*** , no mention of surname. As I mentioned ATO has Software that accepts, and in fact insists, on my legal name as above. So how come one Dept & not the others ? As it is, I cannot link my Services through MyGov, because the Softwares “do not Compute”.

So when you complete forms do you use Mary as your surname?

Not unless I have to.

You cannot go without a surname.

Even booking tickets you need one.

If you do not have a surname you will not be able to do anything world wide.

They may have agreed to change it but it does not mean you can live without one.

Any form you go to fill in and application for credit cards will use Mary as your surname.

Otherwise it will not work.

If you do not want this you will have to add a new name.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

That’s not really the point, there are a few that are now use First & Second (& Third) Name Fields, (Not Surname) If one Gov Department’s Software has a First, Second & Third Name Field (as in ATO), why is there no uniformity? As far as ticket purchasing goes and generally travel overseas, they will put Mary in as my Surname, which is not legally correct according to ATO and THEY WON’T do it. I feel discriminated against as I have neither a father nor a husband, therefore do not need to carry their surnames. I am me and no longer have any family connections. It is more than twenty years since I deleted a Surname, that I did not want, and have travelled overseas on numerous occasions and too, dealt repeatedly with the discrimination & expectation to carry a name I neither have nor want. I’m not happy that I can not find a solution to this problem.

I cannot tell you why there is no uniformity

But in any form if you do not have a surname it will not be processed

You will not find a solution and taking it to court and seeking orders that they change it, you will find it almost impossible to get.

I have had clients that select a surname they like and use that to overcome this issue.