Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We would like to travel to America next year for around 3…

Hi.We would like to...

Hi.We would like to travel to America next year for around 3 months and one of the questions they ask on the visa waiver form is "have you ever violated any law related to possessing,using,or didtributing illegal drugs".Unfortually 18 years ago i did and went to court and was given a section 10 with 2 years bond with no conviction, so no criminal record.My question is after so many years and no conviction how should i answer the visa waiver question. Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

No

3/28/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning,

you will not be able to use the Visa waiver programme.

Because you have a conviction, no matter how old it is, it must be disclosed and you will be advised that you cannot use the program.

You will need to make an application and have an interview with the United States embassy to be approved for your Visa.

when applying for the Visa waiver programme, they ask not only for convictions but they also ask whether you have been charged. Even though you were granted a section 10 and a conviction is not made, you have been charged and therefore you do not qualify for the program.

Here is some information followed by the link.

ESTA will assess your eligibility for travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. The assessment includes questions regarding previous arrests and/or convictions. If you have been arrested for or charged with a crime, including offences involving the use of a controlled substance, you may require a U.S. visa and, in some cases, a waiver of ineligibility. If you choose to apply for electronic travel authorization via ESTA, the system will advise you whether you must visit one of the U.S. Consulates in Australia to apply for a visa. For further details on ESTA and to see if you are eligible for the VWP please refer to the ESTA website.

https://au.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-waiver-program/

As you can see you will be advised to visit your closes consulate to arrange for your Visa.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Hi Leon.I am a bit disappointed as i was told at the time i would not have anything recorded on my records so i would be able to travel overseas and used a barister to achieve this at great expense. Is this only for America ?.and do you know what are the steps to get an appointment with the u.s consulate.thanks

Good Afternoon,

if you were to do a search of your criminal record, nothing would show up.

Ever since 9/11 the United States is not prepared to allow anyone that has been charged. So if you had been charged by the police and then they drop the charges at a later date, you would still not be able to use the Visa waiver programme.

It is the only country that has this issue. For the rest of the world you can travel electronically without having to disclose anything.

I understand it is disappointing but it is only the United States that has this condition.

All the best and good luck, please do not forget to write my work five-star so that I can be paid and continue to provide this service.

If you have anything further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor
Thanks Leon.Just wondering if Canada is part of the U.S. cheers

Good Afternoon,

my understanding is Canada does not have a strict rules and you would be deemed to have been rehabilitated due to the length of time.

Thanks.i will try Canada first and see how that goes then try the US.cheers
All the best and good luck
Thanks Leon.Your answers put me on the right track to sort my visas out.There are no more questions at moment as i have to fill forms and probably have to book an interview. I have rated you 5 stars so hopefully you will be paid lol.Thanks for your help.cheers

Good Morning

All the best and good luck

Regards