Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If I bought a home in Victoria in 1984 with my then husband…

If I bought a...

If I bought a home in Victoria in 1984 with my then husband and forced to sell 2yrs later due to financial hardship, am I eligible to apply for home grant with new husband now?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

1990 moved back to NZ with then husband and return single in 2007 to Brisbane. Have been with new husband for 10yrs. So in answer to your question, nothing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Victoria lawyer about this?

No I live in Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I read that there is a possibility that my husband and I could be eligible for First Home Grant if approved by ATO due to financial hardship when owning a home. My husbands first wife drove them to bankruptcy in 1990 something. We are also thinking of the new Super Fund saving for a deposit for new/used home. We are both over 55yrs of age.

196;re you a lawyer from Australia please? Because that's where I am.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Evening

Once you have received the grant or if you have owned a home before the grant is not available to you.

Here are the conditions that apply

To be eligible for the grant:

• You must be at least 18 years of age.
  • You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or applying with someone who is).
  • You or your spouse must not have previously owned property in Australia that you lived in.
  • You must be buying or building a brand new home.
  • The value of the home including the land is less than $750,000.
  • You must move into the new home as your principal place of residence within 1 year of the completed transaction and live there continuously for 6 months.

https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/buying-owning-home/apply-first-home-grant

They are state government initiatives not federal.

The Federal Government has removed all concessions.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Thank you Leon. We read on HOSTPLUS FHSS Scheme information sheet, quote ‘Please note if you have previously owned a home and suffered a financial hardship, you may still be eligible to participate in the FHSS scheme subject to ATO‘s approval.’ We’re not sure how or who to approach to see if we qualify.

Good evening

How old was that and do you have a link so I can look into it further?

Spoke to my husband and he said no phone call. So thank you for your time I will let him find a better way. Kind Regards

You do not need to call

If you send me the link I can look at it and get back to you on here.

Where do I rate your service please so you can get paid?

You click on the stars near the top of the page I believe.

Leon, Solicitor
Oh, the link. We signed into HostPlus, Statenents, and there is a PDF on First Home Saver scheme and the Downsizer super contribution measure. The information is in the last paragraph of the first column. Thanks