Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I work for a Stock & Station Agent, we were looking after a…

Hi, My name is...

Hi, My name is ***** *****, I work for a Stock & Station Agent, we were looking after a local property for a Client. This property was sold Feb 2016 and changed hands. There was a problem with the final read until the Energy Company could arrange someone to go out and do an actual read. We paid the full amount on behalf of our client expecting that we would received a refund when actual read done. This was the case and we received a refund on behalf of our client in March 2016. All finalised. Until we received a final electricity bill issued 25/01/2018 asking for another $286.87. On checking account only difference I can see from final account issued 10 March 2016 is that the figures have been transposed on the meter reads. Our client no longer owns this property. I have made contact on two occasions 5/2/18 & 23/2/18. Both times I have been told it would have to be referred to the team and I asked that they emailed findings to***@******.***. as I am now working only part time (retired/pensioner) and as Gail is rarely in the office these days I made the original calls because I was the one dealing with Origin Energy on behalf of the client when property sold. No-one has given an explanation they just keep sending an overdue account. I don't think our client should have to pay these charges so long after the original Final Bill was received March 2016 without some explanation! Sorry I didn't know how to explain in less words.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Sorry! New South Wales.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have made 3 phone calls 5/2/18 spoke to Britanny she was unable to help without referring higher authority. Asked for finding to be emailed to Gail Russell. No response. 23/2 overdue account emailed again, this time I spoke with Rashi and she also took information and said she would need to contact someone higher up in the team. This time I asked for Reference No:(###) ###-#### Still no response received another email with overdue account again yesterday. I only work Wednesday afternoon & Thursdays which is why I have just made another call to day. Can our client be expected to have to pay without an explanation of why this has taken so long t be brought to our attention.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of ? I feel a little bit out of my depth here.

3/28/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Heather, you will need to bring this matter into NCAT, but before you do, you should try the follow to build a trail of communication with the other party that should be paying the invoice.

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the other party. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The complaint needs to be in a chronological order with numbered points 1, 2, 3, etc.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 7 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

Preferably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 7 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in NCAT.

Would you like to try this option first.

If you need any further information please let know.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and thank you for using Just Answer.

John Melis, Lawyer
Phone call session started

calling