Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am about to renew my property insurances and find that my…

Customer Question
I am about to...

I am about to renew my property insurances and find that my cover now includes things that I do not need, Eg $5000 cover for fuels and oils, Flood insurance when I live on top of a hill ! The supporting information states there is no extra cover for these inclusions and if the policy is changed to delete these items there will be no premium reduction.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Contacted there office and I am waiting for a more senior manager to call me back

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I believe the cost of these additional offers are covered by the premium for other items and therefore the premium is too high in the first place

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/28/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

I would suggest that you contact other insurers and obtain quotations from them before you renew any policy.

You will also find that if you call your current insurer, and ask them to take on a new policy without referring to the current one they also sometimes provide you with a premium that is much lower than your current premium.

Some insurers to offer additional benefits at no extra cost, but you will only discovered this if you can pay your current insurance with other insurance companies.

I would suggest before you do anything further you do this comparison and if you find an alternative insurer at a much lower price with exactly what you are wishing to ensure that you consider switching or see if your insurance company will match the price of the other insurer.

This is your only option.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards