Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We have had our grandson living with us full but we don't…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** have had our grandson living with us full but we don't have anything legal set in place and we need ether guardianship or cusdoy

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

None we don't know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that Joshua has lived with us his whole life

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/27/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning,

Have you spoken with the appearance of your grandson and ascertain whether they are prepared to enter into consent orders with the Family Court of Australia/Federal Circuit Court, giving you residency on your grandson?

If they agree then you can complete the consent order application and launch it with the court and orders will be made.

This will be enough for you to be able to prove that you are regarding and you can make decisions for the child.

If they are not prepared to do this, then you will have to consider taking the matter further and firstly seek mediation and if that fails then take the matter to court.

You should contact your closest family relationship centre. This is a free service provided by the Federal Government. Their website is

http://www.familyrelationships.gov.au

You can find your closest one on there.

The web-site also have alot of useful information and links to assist you.

Before going to court you must obtain a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner. You get this through the free service provided at the family relationship centres.

If you need to go to court then you will need to file an application in the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court

http://www.familycourt.gov.au and http://www.federalcircuitcourt.gov.au

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Hi Leon thanks for your help but I don't want my credit card number to be charge anymore thanks janette acker

Good Morning
From what I can see you have made a one off payment.

You have not become a member and they will not take anymore money.

If there is nothing further please do not forget to rate my work 5 stars so I can be paid for my work and be able to continue offering my services.

All the best and good luck.

Thank you for using justanswer

Regards