Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

On 19 Feb you confirmed that an Australian resident citizen…

Customer Question
On 19 Feb you confirmed...
On 19 Feb you confirmed that an Australian resident citizen could not act as a trustee of a UK trust. I am having difficulty convincing UK lawyers that there is a problem and I wonder if you could expand a little on the reasons for the embargo and let me know which Act/Section/Clause etc. contains the provisions.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/27/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

That is correct.

You have to be resident in the UK to act as a trustee.

Here is a link about being a trustee

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/being-a-trustee#what-is-a-trustee

What exaclty are they saying?

Apart from the bank who told me of the restriction lawyers here and in Australia have never heard of it. And don't see it as a problem. Clearly if the bank won't accept the trustee we cannot get banking facilities. So I just want to be able to tell the person involved and the lawyers what legislation they should refer to. The bank said it was in the Australian Corporations Act but couldn't tell me more than that.
Couldn't get the link to work

Good Morning

That is correct you have to be resident in the UK to be able to open an account.

A foreign person cannot open an account in the UK

It is UK law that you have to look at about a trustee being appointed.

Australian laws apply to being appointed in australia

eg Under Austraian Corporations law you cannot be a director unless you are resident in australia

Copy and past the link in the search bar of your browser it sets out the responsbilities of the trustee.

I'm sorry but I don't believe this is uk law. I've been a trust accountant for over 30 years and I know the uk law relating to the rights and duties of trustees. The problem only relates to Australians according to the bank.
If as you say an Australian cannot act as a uk trustee if he/she is resident in Australia it must be your laws which prohibit it. We are rather famous for having overseas trusts and I , nor the lawyers we have been in touch with , understand the restriction.
So if it is in the corporations act are you able to tell me where?

If you are not resident (living) in the UK, you cannot open a bank account.

The same applies in Australia. If you are not resident (living) in Australia you cannot open a bank account

If you are appointed as Trustee in the UK and you live in Australia, you will not be able to properly look after the trust.

Also tax wise, you would be a foreigner and the trust would be treated as a non resident trust

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/non-resident-trusts

The Australian Corporations Act does not operate in the UK

Anything to do with the UK, their laws apply.

Australian Laws only apply in Australia.

If the lawyers in the UK wish to appoint an Australian resident that does not live in the UK as a trustee they can on paper but they will not be treated the same as a UK resident trustee.

Ok. The link just give details of non-resident trusts for uk purposes. We have a uk resident trust with a non-resident trustee. I'll leave it there for the moment. It's getting late here. Thank you

The trust is deem resident by the residency of the trustee

If the trustee is in Australia it is a non resident trust

All the best and good luck

Regards