Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My ex partner has taken my caravan and car. I contacted the…

Customer Question
My ex partner has...

My ex partner has taken my caravan and car. I contacted the police and they told me this is a family dispute.what can i do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I called rhe insurance company to make a claim under theft as the policy states if the vehecle is not in the property it cannot be insured.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes they also need a Reference no but the police wouldnt provide me.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/27/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

The police are correct.

You are going to have to make an application with the Family Court/Federal Circuit Court to get property orders and for them to be returned.

This is the only way you can do this.

Alternatively if you know where the car and caravan are, and you have keys to them you can attend and take them yourself.

But be careful that you are not accused of trespass.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards