Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can I sue a childcare for one of there workers giving out…

Customer Question
Hi can I sue...

Hi can I sue a childcare for one of there workers giving out personal Information

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have asked for them to remove the person from my child’s rooms and she has been put back into my child’s room and have just found out she has given out more information and photos of my kids

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s all

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Australia Law
3/27/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 30 days ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Evening

In order to sue them you have to prove that you have suffered some loss due to their release.

You can lodge a complaint about then for breaching privacy but if there is no loss to you they will not be made to pay you anything.

https://www.cpdp.vic.gov.au/menu-privacy/privacy-public/privacy-public-make-complaint

If there is loss you can sue them for negligence and seek compensation but you have to show the losses and be able to quantify them.

Law firms such as maurice blackburn and shine lawyers can assist.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor