Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have been charged $3,227.50 by a private school for my…

I have been charged...

I have been charged $3,227.50 by a private school for my son’s enrolment in year 11 this year. He decided to complete college (ACT system) at another school (an ACT college) but I did not notify the finance office of the school by the due date before the end of year 10.The finance office states "The current School Policy and Practices documents and Handbook, as posted on the School’s webpage, notes the following in regard to withdrawal of a student -
'Withdrawal of Enrolment - One full term’s notice in writing to the School’s Admissions Officer is required for the intended withdrawal of students. The written notice must be received at the School by 9.00am on the first day of the final attending term. Any notice received after this time will render parents/carers liable for the full term Fees and Charges for the current term and 50% of the Fees and Charges for the subsequent term in lieu of notice.'But the ACT has a college system where public high schools end at year 10. I did not realise I needed to advise the finance office, and the above is (to my mind) hidden in a PDF on the school website.My question is "Am I obliged to pay this fee?".Greg

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

ACT

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

No. I have explained the above in an email to the finance office

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I only have until Friday to pay

3/27/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Hi. I'm Greg

Greg was your son enrolled for the next year ?

John Melis, Lawyer
Phone call session started

calling