Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

What does the family law court consider special orders when…

What does the family...

What does the family law court consider special orders when it comes to medical consents for children 12yrs of age, when one parent disagrees to have immunisation

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

Yes there are final orders one is uncertain whether this is a special consent issue

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Jus to was going to copy the order for you to look over

Order #9
Each party is to provide such consents and authorities to the children’s medical and allied health practitioner, so as to allow the provision to the other party of any medical reports and information in relation to the children’s health
3/27/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Order 9 is ordering (instructing) that each parent must not withhold consent from the other parent in relation to medical matters of the children. In other words Parent A must give their consent to medical matters, and Parent B must give their consent to medical matters too .

Medical consent means, that if the treating doctor says that the child should have X treatment, and Parent A wants that to occur, Parent B cannot refuse that consent.

Where Parent B refuses that consent, Parent A can show the treating doctor the order 9, and the doctor can then act on the instruction of Parent A with giving in the treatment, even if Parent B disagrees. The only way Parent B can stop the order happening by the treating doctor, is to go back to court and apply for an urgent injunction.

Does this answer your important question today ?

If you need any further information please let know.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and thank you for using Just Answer.

John Melis, Lawyer