Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Healo Pearl, I have just sacked my Legal team, and would…

Customer Question
Healo Pearl, I...

Healo Pearl, I have just sacked my Legal team, and would like to know if I have to sign a paper from them stating that I am not to contact them in regards ***** ***** file. My part problem has been that I wanted info to reconcilliate the account, this meant credits, invoices..with invoice numbers on them etc.,and all I got was ledger pages that wouldn't marry up with the ledger debits, etc

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Tasmania

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

All I have done is told them not happy,I wanted my complete file ready for me to pick up

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No apart from I get messages thru office assistants and not the person in charge. no phone messages returned,last straw was when they demanded more money which had to be payed before they would do anything more for me. I am not a risk, always payed on time..

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
I would like to know if I do sign their document for release to me, and I find there has been error (s) can I still request payment once this document has been signed by me ?
3/27/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

you should not sign the release agreement, as this will prevent you from raising a potential negligence claim against the law firm if you find a significant error in their work as you said.

the only time a law firm will ask a client to sign a release agreement is when there is a potential aspect that the law firm has not acted properly for the client.

Once you have paid your invoice to the law firm, they are obligated to give to you the client when you request.

the fact that the law firm wants you to sign a release for that file is also an indication the law firm may not have acted properly in your matter.

where the law firm did not act correctly, you have a legal right to bring a claim.

I suggest that you do not sign the release and where the law firm refuses to provide you the client file make a formal complaint to the legal services commissioner and they will investigate.

if you need any further information please let me know.

the law will protect you in this matter.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.