Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My wife's father has recently died in WA and we were

Customer Question
My wife's father has...

My wife's father has recently died in WA and we were wondering what entitlements she has to see a copy of his will and should we be shown same before probate is applied for

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

WA stands for Western Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

For what the man only died on Friday last and we have not been privy to any documents including the Enduring Power of Attorney said to be held in favour of my wife's sister.i

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there a cost for this advice and how much?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/27/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon,

If she's a beneficiary in his will then she is entitled to request a copy of the will.

If she is not a beneficiary then the executor can refuse her a copy.

Your wife's sister, is no longer the enduring Guardian or power of attorney as they have now ceased to have effect. If she is the executor of the will then she gave to have to find a solicitor to act on her behalf.

Does your wife know whether her father had his will prepared by a solicitor?