Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Back in 2012 I was convicted for Assault when I threw a man…

Hi, Back in 2012...

Hi, Back in 2012 I was convicted for Assault when I threw a man on the ground because he stole stealing my wallet. Unfortunately I was caught on camera pushing him to the ground and went to court. This was several years ago and is affecting my working prospects. I'm finding that I can't make a living and is really affecting my health and well being. I didn't have a good lawyer at the time since I was young I couldn't afford someone who could properly defend me in court. I feel like I haven't been treated fairly and would wish to turn new leaf and carry on with my life. I haven't gotten in trouble with the law ever since and do not intend to. I am looking to see if this conviction can be waived so I can get a security license and do something with my life. I just need some advice on how to do this.

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

I was convicted of Assault I never appealed it

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats about it

3/26/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Evening

You are going to have to wait until 2022 before this will not show up on your record.

You cannot do anything now about appealing the decision you are out of time.

After the 10 year period you can apply for a security licence.

If you have a criminal conviction for a ‘prescribed offence’ within the last 10 years, they must refuse your application.

Prescribed offences include:

• Certain firearms or weapons offences
  • Most prohibited drug offences
  • Stalking or intimidation offences
  • Assault offences where there was a penalty of $200 or more fine imposed or even if you got a Section 10 where it was considered a ‘serious’ assault.
  • Most fraud offences
  • Robbery
  • Affray
  • Some offences involving criminal groups

​Here is the link this comes from.

https://www.sydneycriminallawyers.com.au/blog/will-a-criminal-record-or-avo-affect-my-security-licence/

It is unfortunate that you were not given the best legal assistance but it is too late to do anything now I am sorry to say.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor
there's nothing I can do at all but wait?
It's hindering me from having a life I really want

Good Evening

That is correct.

Because of your conviction they have to refuse the application.

I am sorry I cannot give you anything more positive.

Regards