Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I paid $1,000.00 holding fee to RV World Wodonga on a

I paid $1,000.00 holding...

I paid $1,000.00 holding fee to RV World Wodonga on a Motorhome. After viewing the Motorhome on March 8th I decided not to proceed to purchase. No contracts or documents were signed. I was told that the $1,000 holding fee would be refunded if no purchase was made. The This has not happened. What options arre open to me to recover the money?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Wodonga is in the State of Victoria. The purchase was not made.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Request for refund was made via email.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

3/26/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon,

As it is a verbal contract, it is your word against theirs.

I would suggest that you prepare a detailed statement setting out the discussions that were head and with whom and what was actually said and what the terms of the verbal agreement were.

You then advise them that you are terminating the agreement and you request a refund of the $1000 as per the verbal agreement.

If they refuse, you commence proceedings at VCAT and you rely on the statement that you have already prepared as part of your evidence.

Being a verbal agreement, it is your word against theirs. If you have witnesses that can back up what was said because that will present, this will assist you further.

In the end VCAT will listen to both sides of the story and decide whose version they believe. They will then make the appropriate orders.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor