Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I got a debt letter from centerlink saying I owed money and…

Hi there, I...

Hi there, I got a debt letter from centerlink saying I owed money and I have do send through all my payslips. Some from 10 years ago. I did want they asked. Unfortunately I couldn't add it all into the system (MyGOV) because their sight kept crashing so I rang centrelink and asked if they could put is all in the system. The guy on the phone did and at the end of a very long phone call he said that centrelink had made a mistake and it doesn't look like I owe any money. This was before Christmas 2017. Last week I received a letter from Centrelink saying i owe $1,820.94. I wrote a complaint email and now I am receiving texts to my personal mobile from a debt collecting company?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I email the complaint through explaining what happened. That was emailed to Centrelink and now I am on hold on the phone to centrelink.

3/26/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon,

do you have all the information that they require?

Are they saying you owe the money because you failed to provide them with the information, or is it because the information provided shows that she had been overpaid?

Have you asked Centrelink to provide you with evidence of how they calculate what you are? Sending a complaint letter when you don't know how they calculate that amount is not going to assist.

thanks

Can you please provide me with answers to my last post.

sorry I cant see your question?

Here they are again

Good Afternoon,

Do you mean the phone? I work not for profit. I cant afford to be doing this for $100 so I'll say no to an additional$82.

Good Afternoon

No, I asked you a few questions about the issue with Centerlink so I can understand it better

There's a bit of a time lag. I just got your message now.
I proviede them with all the information they required before christmas 2017. It that time the person from centrelink said over the phone from what he could see I didn't own anything. I assumed that was the end of the process. Centrelink has now issued me a debt letter and debt collector are contacting me. From dec 2017 to now I didn't receive any further correspondence except the letter say I owe money.

Good Afternoon

Have you contacted them to ask how they have calculated the amount?

I'm on the phone now trying to get them to send me info
they said they can organise documentation to be sent

Good Afternoon

Did you get the details of the person you have spoken to?

They can tell me who said it
they are sating they can't give me the name of the person I spoke to.
I am getting the details of the person who I am speaking with now.

Good Afternoon,

I suggest you make a detailed statement of what you recall from the date you were asked to provide the information until today.

Hopefully you still have all the information that you provide them.

If you recall the dates that you made the call they should be able to trace who you spoke to.

Further under Freedom of information you are able to request a copy of the telephone conversation which is always recorded.

You given 14 days to provide all of this information and if they do not, you should then consider lodging a formal complaint.

It is not a large amount of money, and if you are going to fight it, it is going to cost you more than what they are asking in the AAT.

But you have a right to obtain the information from them, that they are relying on to support the claim.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Thanks but Im not sure I can afford you. Do I need to do anything more to opt out of this services so I don't get charged more?

Good Afternoon,

you have only been charged what you originally offered, and there is no requirement to you to accept a phone call if you do not wish to.

If you are happy with my responses, and you have no further questions please do not forget to write my work five-star so that I can be paid and continue to provide this service.

But make sure that you prepare a detailed statement as this will be required should you decide to take the matter further and seek the AAT overrule Centrelink's decision.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor
Thanks very much Leon.