Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I will try to be brief. I will try to be brief. I have tried…

Customer Question
Ok. I will try...

Ok. I will try to be brief

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ok I will try to be brief

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have tried to resolve my phone issue with Optus since 10.00am this morning and I have been transferred from one dept to another without satisfaction. They just don't seem to care.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am with Optus on my Home Phone. Optus don't have a fixed line to this area so I am on a Wireless phone line. However, my phone went dead a week ago and when we enquired they told us the Toweres were being upgraded and our phone would be back on Monday 26th March. It is still dead. Hence the query's from 10 am this morning. Now been informed that Optus has discontinued this service and we are left without a phone and an explanation or help in establishing a new line. This is surely wrong. I am so disgusted that I want to now discontinue my home phone and when I notified the caller on the phone she said "fine" I will put you through to another department and was notified of another 15minute wait. I am now in limbo as to what to do next.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Australia Law
3/26/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 29 days ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon,

you're going to have to do draft a formal complaint and request in writing.

I would suggest that you start from the date the original problem started and set out in detail exactly what has happened up to and including today.

In your complaint you make it very clear that you wish some form of compensation for the inconvenience and for not having a service that you are paying for and at the same time advise them that you will be having your service transferred to another provider.

It is in your best interests that you contact another provider and have them take over the service and they will then report over your current number so you don't have to get a new number.

In your letter to Optus, you give them 7 days within which to rectify the issue and give you a credit to your account and if they refuse then you will be taking the matter further and lodging a formal complaint against them with the telecommunications industry ombudsman.

But in order for you to retain your current phone number you are going to have to use another service provider to take over the service.

You will be able to retain your current number so that you do not have to give new numbers to other people but you will be paying another provider.

This is your best option and by preparing this detailed statement to Optus setting out your grievances and issues with them you are already preparing the majority of your complaint to the ombudsman, should they not do the right thing by you.

The telecommunication industry ombudsman website is as follows:

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

make sure that you keep a copy of your statement that you send to Optus, and if you send it by fax evidence of the facsimile receipt or email a copy of the sent email as well.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor