Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I broke a small piece of leadlight in a front door at my…

Customer Question
Hi I broke a...

Hi I broke a small piece of leadlight in a front door at my boyfriends house as I knocked with my keys in my hand it broke about 100mm x100mm square. Do I have the right to get the best quote and have it repaired at my own cost or does the landlord over ride it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Got a quote and now a friend of the landlord has gone and got a quote which is replacement of all the glass in the front door and demanding I pay it today or is going to call the police?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can a front door of a rental property be thin leadlight glass shouldnt it be safety glass standard?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/26/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

as you have caused the damage you are responsible to repair it.

You have a right to any quote provided by the landlord, and if you can find a reputable glazier that does lead lighting work the landlord cannot refuse to accept the quote.

If the landlord wishes to use somebody that is more expensive they are within their rights that they cannot charge you for an amount more than what you have found if there is no reason for them to refuse the quote.

If the person you have found is not a lead light expert, which it has to be, then he may not be aware of the actual cost and may not do an appropriate job.

But if he is the landlord cannot refuse.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards