Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

As an accountant I ma required to give 3weeks notice as I…

As an accountant I...

As an accountant I ma required to give 3weeks notice as I have worked for three years. Can I give three weeks notice and take I weeks leave and work the other two weeks??

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No I was just wondering what the rules are

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just wanted to know if I can do this or whether I am obligated to work my 3 weeks?

3/25/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

Do you have a contract of employment?

If you do what does that say?

A LETTER OF OFFER THAT SAYS THAT IF EMPLOYER TERMAINATES THEY ARE REQUIRED TO GIVE 1 WEEK FOR EAVERY YEAR WORKED AND i HAVE TO COMPLY WITH THIS TABLE TOO
NO, I THOUGHT THERE WAS JUST A SIMPLE ANSWER REGARDING FAIR WORK AUSTRALIA.

Good Afternoon

This letter of offer was signed by you when you accepted the position?

If that is the case, then you have to give that notice period.

if the employer chooses for you not to work it then they have top pay you out.

But you as the employee have to comply.

I would suggest that any notice is given in writing and you make sure that you keep a copy for your records.

If you wish to give less notice you can only do that with the employers agreement

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor