Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

What legal rights do I have to stop my local council from…

What legal rights do...

What legal rights do I have to stop my local council from moving a no stopping zone from a local park adjacent to my residence to the front of my residence , A survey has been letter boxed all the residents in the section that it will affect ,Most of these residents are not the home owner .The affect on my household will be majorly affected by this change if allow .Can I stop this action

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in the local council area of Marion Council of Adelaide South Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None as jet ,I started to fill in the questionnaire .It has 2 questions ,1 asking do you support the move , Second question asks for any comments .The council approved the building of 8 town houses where 2 houses once stood .This has created a lack of parking in front of these dwellings ,There is only 3 legal parking spots in front of those dwellings ,So most of the time there is no room in front of my dwelling to park ,I see that the council has created this problem and are now trying to fix it ,The moving of this zone will create issues for me ,I have a caravan and trailers that i would not be able to get in our out on my property

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes ,The address is*****Mitchell Pk Adelaide South Australia 5043, The street is approximately 9 meters wide and carries a large amount of traffic which creates this issue of this move even worse for me

3/24/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Where the local council wants to move a sign that will impact on your residence, you can strongly defend this action. What you will need to do is obtain an impact study report, which you can arrange from a Traffic Engineer. This party will detail how this change in position of sign will negatively impact on you residence, safety, risk, etc. The local council can be put to question where a resident is affected, which is your case at hand. You have a legal right to raise a valid claim against the council.

you can issue a notice to the local council but the Traffic Engineer report and also a environmental study will assist greatly.

You can find a traffic engineer from the local area you are living in and they can be engaged to prepare that report fro you.

If you need any further information please let know.

The law will protect you in this matter.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and thank you for using Just Answer.

John Melis, Lawyer
Thank John Melis for your quick response ,You have answered my question and the direction I need to take to avert this action

you are mot welcome.

Anytime reach out and I will be there for you to answer your important questions