Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

May name is Marcia. I was on a partner visa as a secondary…

Customer Question
Hi, may name is...

Hi, may name is Marcia. I was on a partner visa as a secondary applicant. The visa was granted in July 2015. Now I have a new partner from overseas and I'm wondering if it would be possible to sponsor him.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Nothing yet, but this is for Australia, not U.S. Sorry if I have contacted the wrong person.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

Not yet, that's what I thought I'm doing now ?!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's all, thanks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/23/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

as your relationship is now ended, you are required under the law to notify the Department of immigration that you and your partner are no longer in our relationship.

If you are currently a temporary resident, you are not able to sponsor anybody.

Under the Department you are here as a secondary applicant and are under the same conditions as your original partner.

Unless you now have permanent residency you cannot sponsor anybody else but you are under an obligation to notify the Department of your changing circumstances as is your original partner.

Your failure to do that is a breach of your conditions and if it is discovered is that you have breached the conditions the Department may send you a notice to leave within 28 days.

But you can only sponsor a 3rd party if your residency status is permanent.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards