Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

How are you? I am seeking advice on incurring Dishonesty Fee…

Customer Question
Hi how are you...

Hi how are you? I am seeking advice on incurring Dishonesty Fee charges from a direct debit authority when accounts have enough money in them to cover payments.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

W.A and its gym membership.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Looked at account dates, transactions available funds and you are the first port of call.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am calling on behalf of my daughter and her partner. My daughter joined the gym and with her partners blessing a direct debit was set up for weekly transaction instead of usual fortnightly payments. Thursdays were agreed upon, but the accounts being debited on any given day often a SAturday

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/23/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

Do you mean a dishonour fee because the account did not have money in it?

What is the question?

it has been charged but there has been money in the account on the value date, stipified by the Gyms bank and the date of the actual transaction date.

Good Afternoon,

the direct debit should be from your daughter's bank. And it would be your daughter's bank that would be charging.

It does not matter what date they try and take the money, if there are funds available this should be no dishonour fee.

If the banks are charging her when there is money available, she needs to write a detailed letter setting out each transaction and when it occurred and showing with statements that there was money in the account and requesting that the fee be refunded.

She should give them 14 days to refund the dishonour fees and if they don't take the matter further and reported to the financial ombudsman service.

https://www.fos.org.au/

This is the process she needs to follow and if she has evidence that there was money in the account the banks have breached the duty and cannot charge her.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

I would like to talk to you. When entering my phone number it comes up red. My number(###) ###-####

Good Afternoon

If you wish a call it is a further fee and you have to elect a call.

I cannot call unless you opt for the call.

Sorry

I have chosen the talk to you option and hit the button. Just waiting on you.
Could you give me an indication you are still there please.

Good Afternoon,

I cannot see a request for a phone call.

Would you prefer if I offered you the service from my end?