Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son sold a car. The people who bought it didn't test

Hi . My son...

Hi . My son sold a car. The people who bought it didn't test drive it or anything. He sold it in good faith. They drove it away and 2 hours later it blew up. They want there money back. Is he liable if they didn't test drive and as far as he knew was fine.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory is your son in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your son taken so far?

None they just messaged him and demand a refund. It was going fine before they took it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just wondered if they have a legal right to do that

3/23/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Thank you

Good Morning

It is buyer beware.

Your son is not liable for anything.

They took the risk of not doing a proper inspection and having a mechanic check it.

Here is the relevant information from Consumer Affairs Victoria

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cars/buying-a-used-car/ways-to-buy-a-used-car/private-seller

It is their responsibiilty and you son does not have to pay them anything or repair it.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor