Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I would like to ask a question about public insurance

Hi there. I would...

Hi there. I would like to ask a question about public insurance liability please. Simon

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

WA

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We are a large company that supplies equipment to minesites and other companies. We wish to go on site to a mine and they are requesting that we agree to their terms that we have public liability insurance of up to $20M per claim and unlimited as to the number of claims. We cannot agree to this unlimited aggregate as our own insurance only covers us up to $100M aggregate. They are unwilling to amend their terms for us stating that it is a common request and everyone agrees to it. Our legal team are equally stubborn saying that that is rubbish. I would like to know if unlimited aggregate terms are common or unreasonable.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

3/22/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Thanks Leon.

Good Morning

Each owner has the right to request that any third party trade has public liability to cover them to a set limit.

This is to ensure of someone is injured because of your negligence there is adequate cover.

In most cases now all public liability insurance is being requested to be 20million.

You cannot gain entry unless you increase your cover unfortunately.

It is their site and they have the right to make sure that they are covered and do not have to make any contribution if a third party is injured because of your presence and negligence.

I am sorry I cannot give you anything more positive.

You will have to increase your cover.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Hi Leon. Your answer suggested that they have the right to request cover to a set limit. Does that imply that if they are asking for cover to an unlimited ceiling that it is unreasonable?

All public liability insurance covers you for unlimited claims.

Each claim has a maximum payout of $20 million

No insurance says that they will only cover you for up to X number of claims.

It is the total insurable amount that you increase. Even your current policy at 10 million dollars is per claim and there can be unlimited claims.

HI Leon. Just to clarify, you said all public liability insurance covers me for unlimited claims? Why then does our policy have a limit to the aggregate of $100M?

I am not sure why.

The policies I have read do not have a limit like that.

That means if there is an incident and you are liable and 20 people are hurt and the maximum is reached you have to pay the balance out of your pocket.

Depending on the industry I would be concerned here.

Leon, Solicitor
Ok, thanks for your help, Leon. 5 stars.

All the best and thank you for your rating.

Regards