Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a question about a private car sale. Qld. None, I'm…

Customer Question
Hello Pearl, I have...

Hello Pearl, I have a question about a private car sale.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Qld

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None, I'm just collecting information. The seller wants out of the sale but we have a legally binding bill of car sale

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We pay you the $1000 deposit - which you acknowledged receipt of on 14 March with the understanding that the balance of $20,500 to be paid on 5th April/
You withdraw the vehicle from the market;
We arrange for an independent mechanic to inspect the vehicle;
On a satisfactory inspection and the finalisation of the balance, you transfer the title of the vehicle to us.The only terms allowing the cancellation of the contract are:
An unsatisfactory inspection - resulting in cancellation of the contract, and you refunding the deposit; or
a satisfactory inspection, and Rikki cancelling the contract, for no stated reason, and you keeping the deposit.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/22/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 5 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

Do you have a written agreement or is it only verbal?