Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was recently evicted from my house. I was given only 14…

Hi. I was recently...

Hi. I was recently evicted from my house. I was given only 14 days to leave. During this time my landlord constantly harassed and bullied me. As a result, I fled the area but did not have the resources to properly clean the premises. I made an arrangement with the real estate agent that I would pay for the clean up once I found work. My Land lord, has now used her staff to clean the house (instead of the real estate) and is posting all pictures on Facebook. Everyone knows it is my house and I am being publicly humiliated. This is an Aboriginal land Council property. What legal avenues are available to me as the Board have been unsuccessful in getting the posts taken down.?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. I don't know what to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Picton NSW 2571

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

3/22/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

Was it because you had not paid rent?

No. I was charged with cultivating and possession of a small amount of marijuana. My landlord was also my boss, I walked away from my job in September due to conflict and poor management. My boss was my friend for 10 years. This is a personal vendetta
I do not have the money to call you. I am homeless

Good Morning

Was this a breach of your lease?

It is a little late to now take the matter to NCAT as you have left the premises.

Had you started an application when you had been given the notice you would have been living there until it was resolved.

You may be able to sue for a breach of lease on the part of the landlord and seek compensation but this is not going to be a simple task.

You would lodge your application in NCAT

http://www.ncat.nsw.gov.au/Pages/cc/Divisions/Tenancy/tenancy.aspx

This is your only option.

But you have to have a copy of the lease and show how they have breached it in their actions.

You may be able to get assistance from Tenants NSW as well

https://www.tenants.org.au/contact-us

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

There was no current lease signed. All my paperwork is in storage.

Good Morning

If the lease was an expired lease they had to give you 90 days notice not 14

You have a claim for a breach.

I was in the premises for seven years and rent was always paid until resigned. I was refused a reference or any recognition of the three years I worked for the Land Council.
Ok who do I claim with?

For the lease you claim though NCAT

I have given you a link

Here it is again.

Speak to tenants NSW for their assistance.

https://www.tenants.org.au/contact-us

If you had not breached the lease and all rent was up to date they have to give you 90 days notice.

I hope this has been of assistance.

Thank you very much Leon.

You are very welcome
Please do not forget to rate my work 5 stars so I can be paid and continue to provide the service.

Take Care

Regards

Leon, Solicitor