Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have insurance for house/contents and business insurance…

Customer Question
Good morning, I have...

Good morning, I have insurance for house/contents and business insurance for a shed on my farm. Recently after four months the NRMA offered a paid settlement. For the shed insured for $40k they offered to pay the $40k and then took out GST, yet that GST does not go the the tax department and I cannot claim it back, is that allowable. Mike

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have spoken to them and the tax department will not resolve of the issue

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this stage

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/22/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

Had you told the insuered you were registered for GST?

In business insurances this is important and if you have stated that you are registered they will not give it to you.

they are aware i am registered with GST

This is why they have held back the GST

If the shed is part of the business insurance you will pay the GST and get it back.

You have to pay the GST and get it back form the tax department not the insurer.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards