Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We brought a Golf Savannah 637 caravan from Avan Super Store…

Customer Question
We brought a Golf...

We brought a Golf Savannah 637 caravan from Avan Super Store in 2017. All I all we paid in excess of $80000 and this gave us a so called warranty for 24 months. We have had nothing but terrible trouble with anything related to warranty issues. It appears to be a very restricted warranty requiring us to bring the van back to the dealer (not the manufacturer) for anyi issue. We are now unable to even get a reply to communications with them. Avan refuseto ontervene. What can we do as theyoweussome money (only $200). But on principle given all previous regections and disappointments we will not let this lapse.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Victoria and probably law inon their side. That they are able to get away with such a limited and restrictive warranty is mind boggling.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Emails and phone calls. Have spoken to Consumer Affairs but not helpful. Have an email promising to pay this

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really just want to know what if any redresswe have. We are pensioners and feel totally disillusioned and frustrated Has cost us a lot of money to have rectified issues we considered genuine warranty..

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Law
3/22/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 1 month ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Evening

Was it new or used?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
New
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not want to commit to a phone call just yet. Am sick and tired of paying out with no guarantee this will be followed up. No offence but our experience with this caravan purchase has been wrought with problems and we really just want to know what if anything can be done.
Will, if necessary, lodge a full report with Ombudsman with all covering material/documentation.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What more can we say at this stage. If you can assist please let us know if not forget it.

Good Evening

The news is not good as the industry is self regulated.

But if you have a major fault you can apply the Australian Consumer Laws it the dealer was a licenced dealer.

This means that you can sue them if they do not fix the issue.

Here is an article from Choice that is very detailed on the same issue

https://www.choice.com.au/transport/cars/general/articles/lemon-caravans-and-consumer-rights

You do not have to call. I am happy to continue here.

There is no Ombudsman that deals with this.

I would suggest you prepare a detailed statement with everything that is an issue and what has been done and send it to the dealer and also to the manufacturer.

If they are a preferred dealer of the manufacturer it may put pressure on them.

But if they are licensed the Consumer laws apply and you can take them to VCAT

Here is where the law is at the moment.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

It is not going to be easy but hopefully they are registered and you can take it further

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Good Evening

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Leon, Solicitor