Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My two dogs exited through our front gate, chased and killed…

My two dogs exited...

My two dogs exited through our front gate, chased and killed the next door neighbours cat. It is a first offence. Will my dogs be put on the dangerous dogs list and have to abide by all restrictions?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

It happened this morning, and I am away, and not back till Saturday morning. my two sons are at home and have locked them around the back of the house

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

They will not be put on the list. That list is dogs that are banned in NSW

They may be declared menacing dogs but that is at the discretion of the officer.

Here is some information on what they look for.

https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/public/dogs-and-cats/information-for-the-community/information-about-declared-dangerous-dogs

Have they been reported to the council?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the ranger came around and is going to serve me with papers, and insists they will be put on the dangerous dog list. They have never offended or been reported before. They chased and killed the next door neighbours cat, who frequents our place.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
one is a pup barely 12 months old and playful. the other is a good watch dog (red cattle dog) but has never been viscous or threatened anyone. they are good family pets. I have no qualms about paying the fine and reconciling with neighbour, but classifying my dogs as a danger to society is absurd.

Good Evening

You are going to have to make sure that they do not get out again.

If they are placed on the menacing dogs list this means any other incident can result in them being destroyed.

Once you get the notice you can seek to have it withdrawn and if they refuse then you can take it to court and get a court order.

I also suggest you get some form of report from any vet that they see etc as to the dogs demeanor and that they are not dangerous. It would be best if they know the dogs.

The link I sent you explains what they look at when deciding to place the dog on the list.

You have rights and can fight the notice but you have to start to put together the evidence to fight it.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thankyou Leon, your advice was helpful. I will begin to build evidence and fight it.
I will take it from here and be sure to give you a five star rating.
Shaun
Leon, Solicitor