Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I would like some information on employment law please. I…

I would like some...

I would like some information on employment law please. I have been working for the same company for just over 10 years now and have just recently been approached by an opposition company. I would like to speak to someone who could tell me what kind of legal action I could be pursued with from my current employer if I decide to join the opposition company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No I have not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I am a permanent employee and do not belong to a Union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do have a employment contract however it is, in my opinion very vague.

3/21/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

Did your contract have any restraints in it about you not being able to work for a competitor?

Leon, Solicitor
It doensnt specifically say anything about not working for an employer i talks more about not sharing IP.
Phone call session started

Here is the link I mentioned

https://legalvision.com.au/how-do-i-stop-an-ex-employee-poaching-my-customers/

https://www.employmentlawhandbook.com.au/how-to-stop-an-ex-employee-from-soliciting-your-business/