Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a house that for several years was being rented on to…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a house that for several years was being rented on to as I had to move due to work commitments many bad tenants thousands owing in back rent and breaking leases etc has left me with about $17;000 in rates, last year I offered a small payment until I got back on my feet but they refused they wanted a payment plan I couldn’t afford, I ended up nursing my dad who has now passed they put in paper about rates and I offered again 2 months ago a payment plan have heard nothing I’ve since moved back in as my marriage broke down and had nowhere else to go, I tried to get a loan to pay but this defaulted my credit pls help what can I do

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Vic

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I got a letter about them wanting 17;000 by 1 jan I rang the solicitor that was dealing wth it stating Ive moved back and offered to pay 100 a week but still haven’t heard back I work nights and trying to keep my job while looking after my child with paying childcare while I work then I was informed it was placed in the paper last months my anxiety depression has sky rocket

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thank u

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/21/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

did you get any response back in writing ?

What you need to do is to negotiate a debt arrangement to settle the amount.

This debt arrangement will be in the form that you pay 20 cent in a dollar, as the maximum amount that they will get. Otherwise if they bring a claim against you, they will not get anything as you will have to consider bankruptcy proceedings.

most creditors in this position will agree to settle on an amount.

Does this answer your important question today.