Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I don't know if you can,but here goes. I want to know if…

I don't know if...

I don't know if you can,but here goes. I want to know if it's possible to sue a correctional centre for injuries my son received whilst in prison. My son passed away after release but not believed to be connected to the injuries.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Qld

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have obtained the records from the prison,which I have not yet read.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

3/21/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Thank u. Also apart from the injuries there is the situation where drugs are being dealt to prisoners with guards involved. I have bank slips for money paid into accounts for the drugs my son accessed inside.I believe my son's injuries were as a result of non payment for drugs.

Good Afternoon,

the following link provides details of what must be done to determine the cause of death.

https://queenslandlawhandbook.org.au/the-queensland-law-handbook/offenders-and-victims/prisons-and-prisoners/deaths-in-custody/

If it is found that they have reached their duty of care and as a result caused your son's death then you may have a wrongful death claim that you can make.

Here a link in relation to those types of clients.

https://queenslandlawhandbook.org.au/the-queensland-law-handbook/health-and-wellbeing/accidents-and-injury/claims-by-dependants-of-a-person-killed/

It is not a simple matter and if it is found that the correctional facility and guards were responsible for his death you will need to then get the assistance of a solicitor the practices in this area of law to commence proceedings.

The Law Society of Queensland and provide you with a referral to a solicitor the practices in compensation for wrongful death.

Their website is as follows

https://www.qls.com.au/Home

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

I don't have a cause of death as the matter is with the coroner. I don't think there's a connection,my son died 6 days after release. The injuries were about 1-2 months prior. It was another prisoner who attacked him,a guard broke up the fight. But I think they have failed in duty of care to protect not just my son but any prisoner from such brutality.

Good afternoon,

if they were aware that your son was in danger and failed to move him or do anything to protect him then you may have an action.

But you're going to have to show that this was an issue.

Once the coroner's report is out then you will need to speak to the political and ascertain whether or not they believe there is enough evidence to mount a case against the correctional services department

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.

Regards,

What do you mean political? I have no way of knowing if they knew he was in danger or failed to move him,and I don't know how to get that information.He told me if he didn't pay he would be killed,and after release told me if the guard hadn't come along and broke it up he would of been killed. The injuries and cause of death are two separate issues. I am just trying to find out what if anything I can do. It is a complex issue,so much going on inside prisons that needs to be bought to light.

Good Afternoon

My apology it was an autocorrect and I did not notice it.

It was mean to say Solicitor not political.

The findings of the coroner should be provided to the solicitor together with all the other evidence you have to show that there has been a breach of duty of care and that they were at fault for your son's wrongful death.

The prison isn't responsible for his death,but for the injuries he received whilst in there. The coroners report will tell us,hopefully,what caused his death,then I will follow that up. I am only trying to ascertain if I can do anything about what happened to him while in prison. I should have contacted the prison and told them what said. Should I contact them now about it ?

Good Afternoon,

You should report what he has told you to the authorities.

You should also contact the Minister for correctional services in Queensland.

Also notify the opposition minister so that they can put pressure on the current government to make changes in the way that the prison's work.

But all of this is important in any case for wrongful death as well.

I hope this is clear and make sense.

Thank you for your assistance.

Good Afternoon

You are very welcome and all the best.

If there is nothing further please do not forget to rate my work 5 stars so I can be paid and continue providing the service I do.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor