Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

One Insurance company is now saying that it will cover some…

Customer Question
One Insurance company is...

One Insurance company is now saying that it will cover some of the replacement of the damaged to my house but may not cover all of it and I’ll do it full comprehensive insurance new for old and the damages been caused by something that was there prior to us buying the house 20 years ago I just wanna know what I can do

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Orange nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have filled a claim and been give an assessment that states they will cover the full replacement of all damage to the property with an allowance of unexpected dimage. Then when the builder started work and they found out the full extent of the damage QBE have started saying that they may not cover all of the repairs.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We were told to move out due to the mould and we have, but now we have to move again which means I will have a 150km round trip to work each day as we have had to move out of Orange as there is nowhere to live for that long without moving every other week.My wife has PTSD and is not coping with the situation.They are saying this may be 10-12 weeks and they haven’t started except for pulling everything out and stacking all the old mouldy stuff in our dinning room.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/20/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

is there any thing in writing ?

I have the first scope of repairs that says the cost and there is room for any added expenses that maybe uncovered once the work starts.

would you like to make a formal complaint ?

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The complaint needs to be in a chronological order with numbered points 1, 2, 3, etc.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 14 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself. Preferrably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 14 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in the local tribunal.

Would you like to try this option first.

thank you

you are most welcome

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.