Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Tina, I am looking for an advice in relation to Digital

Hi Tina, I am...

Hi Tina, I am looking for an advice in relation to Digital Advertising on top of Taxi Vehicles in Australia?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Australian lawyer about this?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

No steps taken at the moment. I am at the phase of sensing the market appetite and rules around it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not.

In addition to the introductory sentence above, let me explain a bit further on the case.
I am looking to find out about rules and regulations in relation to advertising on roof tops of cars. To be specific, I am interested in digital marketing space on both taxis as well as car sharing service providers (i.e. Uber, Taxify, Ola). I have an access to the digital screens as well as number of taxi providers and looking to mount digital screens on taxi rooftops in Australia (starting in NSW and moving on to national level should Sydney be successful). I am curious to understand the laws around "moving advertisements" in traffic - i.e. is it legal, what are the restrictions, rules and any / all NSW and Australian laws around it. Would appreciate your assistance, and if easier, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at(###) ###-####
3/20/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

very good idea.

in relation to your question, as long as the advertising sign is secure to the top of the taxi and does not radiate blinding lights then it will be ok run with the concept.

ASIA has many caps with this type of digital signage.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

Hi John,
Thank you for your prompt response - much appreciated.Just a few more questions to expand:
1. Could you please provide more details in terms of "blinding lights"? Is there a certain measurable threshold I need to satisfy?
2. Would there be an advertising conduct I would need to satisfy in terms of material posted? What body would be evaluating these?
3. What state / federal government would I be talking to should I like to offer them a collaboration opportunity?
4. How often does it happen for such laws to change? Would I be running the risk of organising the business around it and then government, upon seeing the number of screens, decides to alter its laws?Again, thank you very much for your assistance.Will definitely make sure to rate your assistance!
Goran

Goran answers as follows:

Point 1 - this is any light that affects a drivers sight, example white lights which are sharp and not dull.

Point 2 - advertising just does not need to be offence; example look at the billboards.

Point 3 - you do not need to talk to any state body, you just need the approval of the vehicle owner.

Point 4 - Laws change at the government direction so this point is an unknown.

Your concept is excellent and you should patent the design.

John Melis, Lawyer
Thank you John.I just wanted to make sure you, as an alternative online law advise, hold liability over your advices, i.e. I could move forward and develop above idea referencing people back to you advice?Thank you again
Goran

Goran, just answer is a general advice forum. In all matters that you are dealing with you need to have he lawyer engaged on a retainer, and a careful review of the facts of your circumstance under taken to determine the correct merits of your case and what actual path to follow. General advice is general in nature, which does not take into account all aspects of the matter and is guide only to your situation.